Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hard Times Blogs

In hopes of offering a different form of discussion, we will be implementing more blog discussions into our 12 AP Lit curriculum this year. Hard Times is the first text we are using to enter the digital world, but there will be many opportunities in the future. I am hoping you will occasionally check to see what the students are doing and discussing. Additionally, I am hoping to use this blog as a way to share with all of you what the students are doing in class and maybe even share some of their awesome work (anonymously of course).

I believe this is important for a few reasons. 1, it gives students a place where they can grapple with ideas and hear (I mean see) other students' perspectives even when they are not physically in class. Our five hours a week is not the only time students think about the text, so this gives them constant access to discussion.

2, it gives students who are often uncomfortable discussing in large class discussions for various reasons a chance to discuss with their peers in a "safer" way. While I still want and encourage students to participate in all forms of discussions, I find it beneficial to give them multiple opportunities and formats to help them be more successful.

3, it gives me a forum to also engage with students in discussion. Not that this doesn't happen in class, but often times students are participating in a graded discussion in which I try to limit my interruption because often times, a teacher speaking halts their own ideas instead of it being an offering of another interpretation. Your kids are incredibly strong in terms of a classroom discussion, but I like and they like the opportunity for me to engage more with them as a peer engaging in the literary analysis as well; I am finding the blogs to offer that experience.

4, technology is a prevalent role in our society now, especially social media. I believe it is important for students to understand one type of digital communication, especially since many colleges are using such media for class discussions and some classes are fully digital. Beyond higher education, jobs are using this type of discussion forum and tools, so creating a comfort with online discussions should be beneficial for all students as a citizen of a technological world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a blog intended for my students and their families. If you are not a member of one of those two parties, I kindly ask you to not participate on this site.